Monday, December 26, 2011

Book Review: Cold River by Liz Adair

Cold River By Liz Adair is a romantic suspense thriller based on the author's own experiences while living in a little town where she taught for several years in Washington.

Cold River is the kind of story I love reading. I instantly fell in love with this fast paced intriguing story, where the people of the small town Mandy comes to work in make being there a bit of a challenge. She doesn't fit in with her big city ways and has to work to convince the town's people that she is right for the job as the new superintendent, even though they still turn to the former one for all their answers.


But Mandy is tough and determined to show them that she knows what she is doing and begins to make some connections. In doing so they come to trust her, but even more so, she finds that she is losing her heart along the way to the most unlikely person. Who she ends up with, you will have to read to find out. That is part of the fun of reading Cold River.


I loved the way Liz developed the story, and as Mandy grows and learns about her depth and determination, she discovers someone wants her gone so much they are willing to kill her to achieve it. But Mandy proves tougher than her assailant expects, and with the arrival of Mandy's little sister, the stakes on keeping them both safe soar. And Mandy decides to do a little investigating of her own, and as a result the surprises in Cold River keep mounting.


I loved to watch the character arc develop with the main and side characters. The changes they went through as their views of events and people change and how they come to see that maybe there is more to be gained by trusting each other.


I found myself up late into the early hours of the morning turning pages to see what happens next, would Amanda survive the next attempt on her life? Would she make it out alive with all the crazy unexpected events that any of the less than friendly members of the town could easily be suspect? Does Mandy stand strong against it all, or give in to the idea that there are other places that she can go that might be safer? And who of all the men interested in Mandy does she ultimately give her heart to? I couldn't help myself, I had to find out the answers, and was so sad to see the story end.


Find out all the answers to these questions by picking up Liz's book Cold River by clicking here, and you can catch up on what Liz is doing on her blog by clicking here. You won't be sorry you took the time to read Cold River. I know you will love it as much as I did.


Disclaimer: While at times I do receive copies of books to review, my opinion is and will always remain my own.


1 comment:

Liz Adair said...

Thanks, Debbie, for taking time during Christmas with all you've got going to review COLD RIVER. I'm glad you liked it.