Monday, October 17, 2011

Book Review: Sleight of Hand by Deanne M Blackhurst

Is it possible to con your way out of hell? Fifty-two year old Daniel Cabrero hinks so
and why wouldn’t he? That’s how he spent his entire life. But Jonah his spirit guide has
reasons of his own for making sure Daniel pays for all the suffering and misery he’s
caused others. Still sometimes people can change, and maybe Daniel can keep his son
from following in the same path.

In Sleight of Hand by Deanne M Blackhurst Daniel Cabrero finds himself in Wasteland after he dies trying to pull off a huge scheme. At first things in Wasteland seems great but soon it becomes his own personal Hell and his guide Jonah, tries to help him adjust to his new home. But Daniel was a pretty self absorbed guy who sought his own interests and pleasures regardless of who was left hurt.

Sleight of Hand pulled me right in and I found myself relating with the character, even rooting for him as he chose to make some very difficult decisions while in Wasteland. I felt that in spite of his extreme wickedness and the revelation of his debauchery, that I wanted him to change for the better and even found myself wishing he could go back and change the results of his actions. I liked how Deanne showed the consequences of Daniel's decisions. Often he felt his choices were inconsequential, but discovered they had lasing impact long after he was gone. Deanne Blackhurst showed me why Daniel ended up in Wasteland. For me going along for the ride as Daniel discovers things about himself long buried and forgotten that are hard for him to face was fascinating.

Daniel decides to face his own demons and in doing so he evolves. The things Daniel experiences is developed in such a way that I wanted to know what would happen next, and at times I felt my stomach drop in anticipation. Deanne was able to write a believable character. I was impressed by how well developed Daniel was and the nuances of his personality that are often left out were there. I thought it very revealing to learn how he evolved into the man who ended up in Wasteland, and felt compelled to take that journey with him, to see what he would make of the entire experience in the end. Thought Daniel's character evolved and the idea of redemption and growth while waiting for a final decision was appealing.

I really enjoyed Sleight of Hand, and found myself lost in the book. I was drawn into the plot line and how it would surface in unexpected place or experience that Daniel would re experience. I I felt like I was an active participant at times when the scene leapt to life off the page. I found myself wondering what it would be like go through some of Daniel's experiences as journey bloomed to life as I read and could feel some of the intense things Daniel experienced. It was fascinating to see how Deanne developed the workings of the after life. I liked how the story ended, and was left wanting more, hoping to see what would become of Daniel after the last page was finished.

This was a fast read, that had your eyes eating up the pages. To get your copy of Sleight of Hand By Deanne M Blackhurst click here. You don't want to miss out!





Disclaimer: At times I receive copies of books to review, but my opinions remain my own.

No comments: